Special Topic Paper

 There are so many different aspects of Reader's Advisory to choose from!!! With not being given a specific topic, it took me awhile to decide which direction to go with this assignment. 

One of my responsibilities at work is to order adult non-fiction. A few years back, I had ordered a book titled A Fire Story, by Brian Fies. It was about the wildfires in Northern California. When it came in, I was shocked to discover that it was a graphic novel. I was unaware that non-fiction graphic novels existed. 

Of course, it makes sense that non-fiction graphic novels are a thing, but up until that point, I had never really given it any thought. My paper will discuss their existence and importance, and ways to promote them. I will use Drowned City, by Don Brown to support my points. It is a story about Hurricane Katrina. 

Comments

  1. Hello, Savannah! This sounds like a really interesting topic, non-fiction graphic novels also weren't on my radar until reading this post. Thinking about it now though, I can see how works of narrative fiction may lend themselves to a graphic novel format. I see that both of your examples here focus on natural disasters, which I imagine have plenty of elements that graphics or illustrations could enhance or emphasize in a way that written words may not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The non-fiction graphic novels that I came across were mostly historical and biographical.

      Delete
  2. It truly is weird to think about nonfiction graphic novels. It seems weird, but it also gives those who don't like reading traditional books and opportunity to learn through a forum that they actually like. There was one I read called Chartwell Manor : a comics memoir by Glenn Head. The depictions in this book, and the descriptions added made this book a very hard read. It also made me feel like I was a part of the story in a different way then a traditional book since I am physically seeing everything. Your topic is a great choice, and I hope that you learned so much more about nonfiction graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taryn. I looked up Chartwell Manor.... I can definitely see how that would be a hard read. That's a pretty intense topic.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3's Prompt Responses

Thriller Annotation