Week 7 Prompt Response

     This blog is my response to the article by Mackenzie Nichols, "How the New Celebrity Book Clubs Are Boosting Literary Sales". I would like to start by saying that I am a complete book worm. I am in favor of anything that will inspire an individual to pick up a book. I love the fact that library patrons are compelled to come in and ask if the library would be ordering a specific book, and if so, can they be put on a waiting list for it. It's fun to imagine what it would be like to be Maria Hummel, who went from "relatively unknown" (Nichols) to be a highly sought after novelist, simply from being recommended by a celebrity. 

    That being said, I do quite often stop and ask why this happens. Not that it is a bad thing, but, why does a movie star or athlete's opinion of a book  have so much of a leverage and influence of our thoughts? Does thinking of a celebrity relaxing with a book make them appear more "normal" than rich and famous? Do we feel we can better relate to them if we have similar reading interests? The "Why?" doesn't really matter, because the end result is that people are reading, listening, and downloading more books, which is really the goal of every author. 

Comments

  1. Your comments about why people care about celebrities' endorsements of books are really interesting and something I've wondered before as well. I don't really have an answer for the established celebrity book clubs. But I have seen people on TikTok pay attention to the books their favorite celebrity has talked about or is seen carrying, and I think that's maybe more connected to parasocial relationships and wanting to feel deeply connected to someone you're a fan of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight ! Whatever they why - at least they are reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3's Prompt Responses

Thriller Annotation